Upon completion of the B.A. in English program, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of significant traditions,
historical and cultural contexts, and current issues in literature and
- Conduct, analyze, evaluate, and integrate academic research.
- Understand and apply strategies of critical theory.
- Analyze literature and synthesize ideas with clarity,
accuracy, and coherence with an understanding of standards and
conventions of language in a given rhetorical situation.
- Understand and write using a variety of literary genres.
Construct an original and convincing argument using a range of rhetorical strategies in speech and writing.
- Develop general communication and learning skills and understand the value of ongoing critical reading, thinking, and writing.
Students completing the B.A. in English program and a creative writing emphasis will also:
- Demonstrate a working vocabulary for critical analysis
through theoretical venues as well as in-depth study of terminology and
form within creative works to develop strong critiquing skills in the
- Produce writing competitive at a publishable level,
which reflects an understanding of the creative writing genres, the
business of writing, and the drafting and revision process for
individual and collections of works.